by Sean Gogarty, SGO Fitness San Diego
Is this you ?
Dictionary definition: Couch Potato: A person who watches a lot of television and does not have an active life.
We spend way too much time sitting down! Driving, eating, working, social media texting, relaxing and watching TV. For most people these all entail sitting for extended periods of time.
Do you need to develop better life style habits, to make the most of the personal time you have in your day?
- Statistics show that the average American spends 5.11 hours a day watching television. We start Young!
- In a life time that averages out to about 9 years of TV watching.*
- 99% of households have one television, the average # for a household is 2.24.
- 67% of Americans watch TV while eating dinner.
- The number of TV commercials seen in a year 16,000 based on 1200 hours of watching television.
Effects of Watching TV
Having TV’s switched on in your household leads to the temptation to sit down and avoid activity.
Imagine the things you could accomplish if you committed 5 hours per day to other life goals instead of TV time!.
Eating while watching TV leads to over-eating. If you are not conscious to the foods you are consuming your bodies signals of fullness will be ignored.
TV Advertisements constantly bombard us with foods and images of portion sizes we are trying to avoid on our Mission Thin Possible weight loss journey.
Is it time to turn off the TV and get moving?
How much extra time would you have?
TV and Food Cravings
Big Food and Fast Food Companies use TV as one of their prime advertising vehicles. While watching TV our minds are being programmed to rationalize larger portion sizes and crave and consume more food. Most of these foods contain higher sugar, salt and fat contents and are not beneficial when trying to loose weight. Reducing the amount of time we sit watching television helps reduce the implanting of large portion sizes of unhealthy foods in our memory.
Family life centered around eating and watching television also passes bad habits on to other family members and puts them also on the path to poor health and over eating. Its within our power to make a life change for ourselves and the whole family.
Pre-emptive Action Solutions
- Tape your Favorite Shows: It will allow you to go and exercise, and then watch only the programs that are important to you on your schedule.
- Don’t let TV control your Life: Space out your household chores for evenings, leave your weekends free for major family time and activity. Replace TV hours with quality time.
- Keep Dinner at the Table: Separate food from your TV. Make family dinner just that, eat at the dining table without TV.
- Commercial Break Challenge: When you are watching TV, take every commercial break as an opportunity to exercise, to do squats,lunges or press ups.Set a goal to reach say 100 of each by the end of the day. Can you do it?
- Help your family. Unplug the TV and store the remote out of sight. The more obstacles you create to turning on the TV, the easier it will be to choose another activity.(replacing T.V. Time with internet browsing time on a computer or cell phone is a common alternative but is not a solution here……LOL.)
- Unplug:Cut yourTV time down to 2 hour or less.(This has been shown to have a dramatic affect on weight loss.)
- Cut the Couch Time! Replace some of your TV time with exercise or activity every day.
- Post your success of what you did on our MTP blog or your MTP private group Facebook page.
- Share with us any other pre-emptive action solutions that you can suggest to help life change.